Going Green at School
At Derry Village we are endeavoring to find and institute ways to reduce, reuse and recycle.
- The school newsletter and other correspondence from the office is being distributed to the oldest [or designated child] from each family.
- Some hallway lights are being turned off to reduce energy costs.
- Paper bins in classrooms are used to recycle paper.
- Newsletters are distributed via email to parents.
- The school webpage is used to communicate school information.
- Computers are turned off in the evening and over extended breaks to reduce energy costs.
- Buses are using a no-idle policy to improve air quality and reduce fuel costs.
- School lunch menus are no longer distributed via paper. Menus can be found on the webpage.
- We take part in a cell phone recycling program.
Some of the things we would like to do to improve our efforts include;
- Adding a "Paper Only" bin in each classroom.
- Collecting plastic bottles for recycling.
- Reducing appliances in the classrooms.