Arrival and Dismissal
- Stay in your car. At morning car drop off parents are reminded that they must stay in their cars. This facilitates a smooth and efficient drop off procedure.
- Passenger side. At car drop off please have your child get out of the car on the passenger side of the car. It is very dangerous for children to get out on the driver’s side.
- Arrive in good time. Rushing to get your child to dash out of the car to reach the classroom before the school bell rings is the recipe for disaster in terms of child safety. Would you rather your child receive a tardy notice or risk an accident?
- Any student arriving after the tardy bell [8:35am] must be signed in to school at the office by the parent/guardian dropping off the student.
- No Idling Zone. Parents are reminded that the drop off bay at the front of the school is designated an “No Idling Zone”. The purpose of the No Idling Zone is to reduce pollution from idling buses and cars that negatively affect a child’s healthy lung growth and development. Children are more vulnerable to the impacts of vehicle pollution than other populations.
Parking and Traffic Flow Reminders
The safety of our students is our highest priority. Please follow drop off and pick up procedures very carefully to keep all of our children safe. We ask that you do not get out of your car in the morning car Drop Off Lane, this will keep traffic flowing at a busy time of the day.
Kindergarten afternoon drop off. Parents are reminded to not park in the bus drop off area.
Car Pick Up Dismissal
It has become necessary to make significant changes to the way we conduct car pick-up at dismissal time at Derry Village School. Beginning Tuesday January 3, 2017. Car Pick Up dismissal will take place at the front of the school following these procedures. Here is a map of the new procedure.
Information concerning NH State Road Laws:
RSA: 265:54 Overtaking and Passing School Bus
RSA: 265:60 II (a) Basic Rule and Maximum Limit, for School Zones Speed Limits
In the State of New Hampshire, school zones have a reduced speed limit when children are present and/or the warning signs are flashing. The speed in these zones is ten miles-per-hour under the posted speed limit.
The driver of a vehicle upon meeting or overtaking from either direction any school bus, plainly marked with school bus signs or such other distinguishing identification which has stopped for the purpose of receiving or discharging school children, shall stop his or her vehicle before reaching such school bus at least 25 feet away from such school bus. The driver shall not proceed until such school bus resumes motion, or until flashing red lights cease to operate.